Flats and maisonettes

Convert a house (or single flat) to a number of flats, bed-sits or other subdivision

Planning Permission

To subdivide a house into multiple units you must obtain planning permission.

If your house is a listed building it is likely you will need listed building consent and you should contact your local planning authority for advice before you start work. Works to a listed building that affect its special historic character without consent is a criminal offence.

If your flat is in a conservation area and your proposals involve an element of demolition then you may need to apply for conservation area consent and you should contact your local planning authority.

Building Regulations

  • Conversions of properties require approval under the Building Regulations.
  • You may need to consult the Fire Service regarding issues relating to fire escapes.
  • The Housing Act 2004 requires that sub-divided buildings meet standards and houses in multiple occupation are licensed. Read more about the Housing Act 2004.

Disclaimer - Wales

This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information. This guidance relates to the planning regime for Wales. Policy in England may differ. If in doubt contact your Local Planning Authority.

Read the full disclaimer here.