Part L - Conservation of fuel and power
Approved Document L, Conservation of fuel and power, Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings
Publication title: Approved Document L, Conservation of fuel and power, Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings
Date published: December 2021
Date valid from: 15 June 2022
Approved Document L Volume 2 applies to buildings other than dwellings It gives guidance on how to comply with Part L of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations and the energy efficiency requirements for buildings other than dwellings.
Approved Document L is split into two volumes; Volume 1 covers dwellings, Volume 2 covers buildings other than dwellings.
Guidance provided includes insulation regulations, boiler productivity, lighting, and storage techniques for hot water. Further information covered includes fixed standards for Carbon Index ratings, solar emissions, heating and ventilation systems, space heating controls and air conditioning systems, amongst other fuel and power systems.
These documents are updated regularly due to improvements in technologies and materials available in the construction and modification of buildings, so please ensure you are reading the most up to date copy of the document.
A consolidated version of the individual Approved Documents published by the government, now presented as a single, searchable PDF.
Approved Document L, Conservation of fuel and power, Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings2 This approved document takes effect on 15 June 2022.
Changes in this version
As of 15 June 2022, the guidance will change due to The Building Regulations etc. (Amendment) (England) Regulations 20214 and the following two approved documents will be in force:
- Approved Document L, Conservation of fuel and power, Volume 1: Dwellings
- Approved Document L, Conservation of fuel and power, Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings
These will replace the following four Approved Document L parts:
- Approved Document L1A, Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings
- Approved Document L1B, Conservation of fuel and power in existing dwellings
- Approved Document L2A, Conservation of fuel and power in new buildings other than dwellings
- Approved Document L2B, Conservation of fuel and power in existing buildings other than dwellings