Most planning and building control applications are submitted online. You can apply to every local authority in England using the Planning Portal.

At the start of project you must consider whether the development requires planning permission or building regulations approval, or your project may need both. These are two separate applications and must be applied for individually, you can apply for both using the Planning Portal’s services below. You will need to create a separate account for each of the application services. You can register and sign in using the links below.

Please note: There is a service charge for submitting online planning applications that attract a planning fee of £60 or more. Application fees are to be paid to the Planning Portal by using the payment options that are presented to you as part of the application process and before the application is submitted to the local authority. Find out more.

Planning applications

To apply for planning permission you need to submit a planning application. All planning applications are required to be submitted on a standard form and can be submitted online through the Planning Portal.

Start a planning application

View your planning applications

Building control applications

Any person carrying out building work needs to ensure that work complies with the regulations. There are some types of work which will be exempt from the building regulations and an application will not be necessary.

Start a building control application

View your building control applications

COVID-19 - Access to our Service Desk

During this uncertain time of the COVID-19 outbreak, the Planning Portal are operating as usual. Our Service Desk remains open for customers and you can contact us by email or phone. Please bear with us, if you find it difficult to get through by phone or you would like to request a call back you can email us on

Please note: The Planning Portal is an online application service based in Bristol. We are not part of any council and do not have a planning department so cannot offer planning advice. Therefore, if you need planning advice, please contact your local council’s planning department. Their contact details can be found by using our search tool.

Application payments: All online, telephone and BACS payments are being processed in accordance with our terms, but it is likely that payments made by cheque will incur some delays during this time. Instead of a cheque payment, we would encourage you to use an alternative payment option so that submission of your application is not impacted.

Find out more from our blog.