Consent types


The following planning consents can be applied for online:

Consent types not available through the online system

Our online system does not currently support 'hybrid' applications, view further information about hybrid applications below.

The following consent types are currently not available on the online system. You can download the relevant forms and associated documents here.

  • Applications for prior approval of a proposed:
    • Enlargement of a dwellinghouse by construction of additional storeys
    • New dwellinghouses on detached blocks of flats
    • New dwellinghouses on detached buildings in commercial or mixed use
    • New dwellinghouses on terrace buildings in commercial or mixed use
    • New dwellinghouses on terrace buildings in use as dwellinghouses
    • New dwellinghouses on detached buildings in use as dwellinghouses
    • Demolition of buildings and construction of new dwellinghouses in their place
  • Application to determine if prior approval is required for a proposed:
    • Change of use - commercial/business/service to dwellinghouses
    • Change of use - commercial/business/service/etc to mixed use including up to two flats
    • Erection, extension, or alteration of a university building
  • Application for Permission in Principle
  • Application for a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works to a listed building
  • Planning application for development relating to the onshore extraction of oil and gas

Application types not currently available on the Planning Portal

If you wish to apply for the following, please contact your local planning authority or check their website for details

  • Application for modification of conditions relating to construction working hours
  • Application for additional environmental approval to extend the duration of a planning permission
  • Planning permission for mineral extraction or associated development
  • Modification or discharge of a Section 106 planning obligation

Further details about Hybrid applications

Please note: You cannot currently make hybrid applications through our online system.

A local planning authority may accept a 'hybrid' application; that is, one that seeks outline planning permission for one part and full planning permission for another part of the same site.

The fee for each part would have to be calculated separately on the appropriate basis, subject to any relevant maximum, and the total (which would not be subject to any maximum) would then be chargeable.

Following a discussion an authority may also allow an application to be separated into core elements, so that permission for separate elements can be given priority, for example site preparation works.

Whether to accept a proposal in hybrid form is at the discretion of the local planning authority, not something on which an applicant may insist. Please note, in the interest of good planning a local planning authority is empowered to require details even when the application is in outline. The term ‘hybrid application’ is not defined in statute.

It is recommended that you discuss your hybrid proposal with the relevant local planning authority prior to submitting an application. This will minimise the risk of the local planning authority refusing to register the hybrid application.

Source: Paragraph 24 of the 2004 Fees Circular (Circular 04/2008)

Note: The power to request additional information is provided by Article 5 of The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015.