Determinations and Appeals

What are relaxations, dispensations and appeals?

If you believe that your work cannot be expected to comply with one or more of the requirements in the Building Regulations because they are too onerous or inappropriate, you have the right to apply to your local authority for a relaxation or dispensation of the requirement(s) in question in order for your completed building work to be considered to achieve compliance.

If  the local authority refuses your application you have a right of appeal (in England) to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government or (in Wales) to the Welsh Ministers in the Welsh Assembly Government against that refusal, providing you do so within one month of that decision.

View further information on relaxations, dispensations and appeals including a guide to the process, details of how to appeal, and a list of previous appeals on