Putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:
- The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground
- together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.
Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:
- Flats and maisonettes (view our guidance on flats and maisonettes)
- Converted houses or houses created through the permitted development rights to change use (as detailed in our change of use section)
- Other buildings
- Areas where there may be a planning condition, Article 4 Direction or other restriction that limits permitted development rights.