Drains and sewers

Planning Permission

You do not usually need to apply for planning permission for repairs, maintenance and very minor works.

Permitted development rights may be available for works that go beyond repair, maintenance, and very minor works. However, you should always check with the local planning authority to confirm that rights have not been removed.

You should clarify ownership and responsibility before modifying or carrying out maintenance. Drains, sewers and manholes may be shared with neighbours or owned by the relevant sewerage undertaker.

Failure to confirm these details or to comply with relevant standards/legislation could lead to legal and remedial action at your own cost.

Foul Drainage Assessment

If you are required to complete a Foul Drainage Assessment form to support your planning application, you can find the form on the GOV.uk website accessed by using the link below.

FDA1 Foul Drainage Assessment Form.

Building Regulations

Remember that internal or external works to listed buildings are likely to require listed building consent.

Find out more about Drains and sewers and the Building Regulations.

Working safely

Find out about working safely in different environments and how you can keep yourself safe. With HSE's 'Getting your job done safely' article

Getting your job done safely.