Other permissions you may require

Listed Buildings

You will need to apply for listed building consent if either of the following cases apply:

  • You want to demolish a listed building (check with your local planning authority about other procedures which must be followed).
  • You want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest.

You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building. Check the position carefully with the council - it is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand.

If your application for listed building consent is refused, granted with conditions or not determined within eight weeks of it being validated by the council then you have the right to appeal to the Secretary of State.

Find out more about the application process and how to apply online via the Planning Portal.