Other permissions you may require

Party Walls

A wall is a "party wall" if it stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two (or more) different owners.

Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations.

View guidance on party walls and building work on Gov.uk

A booklet has also been produced by MHCLG to explain in simple terms how the Party Wall etc Act 1996 ("the Act") may affect someone who either wishes to carry out work covered by the Act (the "Building Owner"), or receives notification under the Act of proposed adjacent work (the "Adjoining Owner").

Party Wall etc Act 1996: Explanatory booklet

This booklet has been simplified and updated to provide some answers to regularly asked questions. For example: what a party wall award can cover, what to do if a building becomes unsafe or there is excessive noise from the work being carried and the role of the surveyor.

Our interactive terrace guide also provides details about party walls relating to permitted development.

Do I need a Party Wall Agreement? 

To find out if you need a Party Wall Agreement, visit the Home Owners Alliance website which offers guidance about obtaining permission for building works and serving a party wall notice.

A planning consultant may help with the smooth running of your project. To find an accurate consultancy quote, explore Studio Charrette's calculators.