Other permissions you may require

Conservation Areas

You can check with your local planning authority to see if your proposed work is in a conservation area.

If your development site is in a conservation area, you will generally need 'planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area' (also commonly known as 'conservation area consent') to do the following:

  • Demolish a building with a volume of 115 cubic metres or more.
  • To demolish any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure with:
    • a height of one metre or more if next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway), waterway or open space; or
    • a height of two metres or more elsewhere

Please note: There are some exemptions to these general requirements.

You can view further details in the official government guidance or discuss the matter with your local planning authority.

Even if your proposals do not include the work mentioned above you should still check if an application is required.

If your application is refused, granted with conditions or not determined within 8 weeks of it being validated by the council then you have the right to appeal to the Secretary of State.

Find out more about the application process and how to apply online via the Planning Portal.

Wildlife Assessment Check

The Wildlife Assessment Check is a free online tool is free that identifies whether there are any protected or priority wildlife species in the location where proposed works are to take place.

Find out more