Smarter Planning will let local authorities:
- save time and resources
- save money
- reduce carbon.
Local authorities can reap these rewards by:
- endorsing the Planning Portal as the preferred way of submitting applications
- promoting best practice guidance for making an application and local
- providing links on your website to the recommended areas of the Planning Portal
- communicating electronically both internally and externally
- working towards a paperless office
- offer online fee payment or alternatives for quicker registration.
View an interactive map showing local authority areas that have achieved Smarter Planning Champion status (opens in Google maps. Click on the local authority of interest and it will reveal their name and Smarter Planning status).
By pledging your commitment to the Smarter Planning scheme, you will be supported by us by adopting these approaches through free training, resources and advice.
Once practicing Smarter Planning, your local authority will become an approved Smarter Planning champion, as well as benefiting from the efficiency savings you have made.
Smarter Planning is currently being run with English LPAs only.