Published: Thursday, 7th April 2016
The consortium behind a proposed £80m revamp of the seafront at Bognor Regis have said they will submit a revised application designed to meet the objections to the scheme.
Officers had recommended refusal of the proposal which was rejected unanimously by members of the Arun District Council development control committee last week.
The scheme, called the Sir Richard Hotham Project, included proposals for nearly 200 flats, two hotels, a 1,100-seater theatre, new shops and offices, pubs, restaurants and a spa/swimming pool, relocation of an existing skate park and a new boardwalk facing the Esplanade.
Four sites were involved including three owned by the council, two of which formed part of earlier regeneration proposals involving an abortive joint-venture between the council and private developer St Modwen’s.
The scheme given the thumbs down last week would have involved the demolition of the existing Regis Centre including the Alexandra Theatre.
Planning officials said the scheme failed to meet key policies in both the local plan and the recently adopted neighbourhood plan. There were adverse traffic and access issues and the proposed development failed to enhance the local character and quality of the area. It also failed to display “design excellence”. The developers were also heavily criticised over the lack of affordable housing.