The planning rules for porches are applicable to any external door to the dwellinghouse.
Adding a porch to any external door of your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, provided:
- the ground floor area (measured externally) would not exceed three square metres.
- no part would be more than three metres above ground level (height needs to be measured in the same way as for a house extension).
- no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway.
Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:
- Flats and maisonettes (view our guidance on flats and maisonettes1)
- Converted houses or houses created through the ‘permitted development’ rights for:
- ‘Changes of use’ (Schedule 2, Part 3, Classes G; M; MA; N; P; PA and Q) (as detailed in our change of use section2)
- ‘New Dwellinghouses’ (Schedule 2, Part 20)
- Other buildings
- Areas where there may be a planning condition, Article 4 Direction or other restriction that limits permitted development rights.
Build Aviator's estimating service can help you plan your project by providing an accurate cost of the proposed construction. Find out more3.
Once costs have been estimated, the quick quote finance calculator4 from Selina Advance can take all of the hard work out of searching and securing the funds needed for your project.
A planning consultant may help with the smooth running of your project. To find an accurate consultancy quote, explore Studio Charrette's calculators.5
Find a Trade Professional
Use our partner directories from CIAT, FMB, RIBA, or RTPI to find an chartered architectural technologist, builder, architect or planning consultant to help with your project or development.
Find a trade professional (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/find-a-trade-professional)Find a trade professional
Make an application (https://1app.planningportal.co.uk/)Make an application
Project estimating service (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/estimating-service)Project estimating service
Planning consultancy calculator (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/planning-consultancy-calculator)Planning consultancy calculator
Financing your project (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/quick-quote-finance-calculator)Financing your project