Skip to content

What to submit

Planning permission - Supporting information

Your application must be made up of:

  • The necessary plans of the site
  • The required supporting documentation
  • The completed form
  • The correct fee.

If you’re applying online, once you have submitted your application it will automatically be received by the relevant Local Planning Authority (LPA). 

The LPA will not be able to process your application unless the mandatory supporting documentation has been provided. You can also attach any other relevant documentation which you think will help the local authority determine the application. 

Read detailed descriptions of each type of supporting document1.

Please note, online submission of supporting information may not always be possible because of the file size or type. If this is the case, you may be able to provide information in hard copy (three copies plus the original) or electronically* (e.g. CD, USB storage device), this can be done even if the application has been submitted via the Planning Portal. In these circumstances applicants will be notified of the validity of their application when the LPA is satisfied it’s received all the necessary information.

*Your LPA may have their own acceptable method for you to provide supporting information, please check with your local authority what these are before submitting.

Find your Local Planning Authority

There are two levels of mandatory documents, national and local. If you’re applying online, the service will tell you what mandatory documentation you need to provide and allows you to attach the relevant documents. If you are posting the application, at least three copies of the form and any supporting information, including plans, are required, although some planning authorities may ask for more.

Mandatory documents

National requirements

As a minimum, you must provide the following documents for your planning application to be valid:

Local level requirements

In addition to the national list, your LPA may produce a list which details any specific documentation that is required to accompany the application. The requirements may vary according to the type of application, i.e. household, full, outline, etc. If you are applying online, this list is available from the supporting documents screen.

Alternatively, the local requirements can be found on the relevant LPA’s website.

Find your Local Planning Authority

Notices to owners and agricultural tenants

Depending on the ownership of the land and if it is under an Agricultural Tenancy, you may be required to send notices to any owners or agricultural tenants prior to submitting your application. Details of the owners or agricultural tenants and the date notice was given will also need to be provided as part of the application.

'Owner' means a person having a freehold interest or a leasehold with at least seven years unexpired.

'Agricultural tenant' means a tenant of an agricultural holding, any part of which is comprised in the land to which the application relates.

Notice templates, and when to use which notice

For householder planning applications, the Householder Notice8 can be used in all situations.

For all other relevant applications:

  • Where the owners of the land are known, Notice 19 must be submitted to all known owners or agricultural tenants. This may apply when ownership certificate B or C is relevant.
  • Where some or all of the owners are not known, Notice 210 must be published in a local newspaper. This may apply when ownership certificate C or D is relevant.
  • You may require a mix of the above if some, but not all, of the owners are known.

Detailed government guidance11 on ownership certificates is available to help with your application.

Guidance on the information requirements and validation12 (external link to

Personal data and planning applications

Please note that with the exception of the applicant contact details (telephone numbers and email addresses), all the information you provide on the application form and in any accompanying documents may be published on the website of the local authority dealing with your application.

To avoid the publication of personal details, do not include them, or any other information which falls within the definition of personal data under the Data Protection Act 1998, in documents supporting your application.

If you require any further clarification, please contact your local authority's planning department.


The Planning Portal is delivered by PortalPlanQuest Limited which is a joint venture between TerraQuest Solutions Limited and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC). All content © 2024 Planning Portal.

The Planning Portal is delivered by PortalPlanQuest Limited which is a joint venture between TerraQuest Solutions Limited and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC). All content © 2024 Planning Portal.