In this section you will find planning and building regulations guidance for many common building work projects. You can:
- Use our guides or the Common Projects links to find guidance on the building work you have in mind.
- Check other important matters you should think about before starting work in the 'Your responsibilities' section.
- When you have read and considered the guidance around whether or not you need planning permission or building control approval you can find out 'What to do next'.
Explore our interactive semi-detached house for guidance on many common householder projects, including home microgeneration.
Explore our interactive terrace for guidance relating to flats, shops & basements as well as many common householder projects.
With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or building regulations approval or not).
Therefore, failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action (which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration). The general advice is to always discuss your proposals with the relevant Local Planning Authority and Building Control Service before starting work.
- Adverts and signs
- Biomass Fuelled Appliances
- Boilers and heating
- Ceilings and floors
- Change of use
- Doors and windows
- Drains and sewers
- External walls
- Fences, gates and garden walls
- Flats and maisonettes
- Flue, chimney or soil and vent pipe
- Flues for biomass and combined heat and power systems (non-domestic)
- Fuel tanks
- Garage conversion
- Gate ornaments
- Heat pumps
- Heat pumps (non-domestic)
- High hedges
- Hydro electricity
- Internal walls
- Kitchens and bathrooms
- Loft conversions
- Micro-combined heat and power
- Patio and driveway
- Paving your front garden
- Satellite,TV and radio antenna
- Solar panels
- Solar panels (non-domestic)
- Trees and hedges
- Warehouses and industrial buildings
- Working from home
- Wind turbines