- Reference and Link
- Jan 01
DETR 01/2001 & CMS 01/2001 (11 July 2001)
This circular repeats much of the advice on the historic environment in circular 14/97, which in turn updated Planning Policy Guidance Note 15 Planning and the Historic Environment, originally published in September 1994. It also (in Appendix A) corrects an error from circular 14/97.
It makes significant changes to some consultation and other provisions:
- Details are given of how listed building consent applications should be made and how notice of these should be provided to national amenity societies and English Heritage.
- There are new arrangements for notifying English Heritage of listed building consent applications in London, and revised requirements for English Heritage to notify the Government Office for London.
- The role of the Royal Commission on Historic Monuments of England is absorbed into that of English Heritage.
- Changes to PPG 15 are summarised in Appendix B
- Appendix C gives advice on listed buildings in conservation areas subject to action under part IX of the Housing Act 1985.
- Appendix D gives advice originally included in circular 14/97 on the House of Lords judgement in the case of Shimuzu (UK) Ltd v Westminster City Council.
- The ruling affected the definition of "building" and of "demolition" in the context of listed building and conservation area consent.
- Appendix E lists the main heritage bodies and their addresses.