Frequently asked questions

What is a conservation area?

A conservation area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.

If your property is in a conservation area then in some circumstances you may need additional consent to carry out works which involve demolition of a building or gates, fences, walls or railings. You can apply for consent for demolition in a conservation area online via the Planning Portal.

Find out more about consent for demolition in a conservation area (England) / (Wales) (PDF)

To find out if you live in a conservation area (and any policies or restrictions that may apply as a result) you will need to contact your local planning authority.

You can find contact details for your local planning authority on the Planning Portal.