Frequently asked questions

How can I get a copy of 'Planning: a guide to householders'?

This former booklet by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) is no longer available and has been replaced by the visual guidance on household projects available in our interactive house guide and 'Do you need permission?' section.

MHCLG does provide technical guidance on the permitted development rules for householders:

View 'Permitted development for householders – Technical guidance' on

If you are looking for advice on one of the following projects, you may also find the interactive mini-guides we have created useful: