About the Planning System

Getting involved

The public can play an active role in the planning system by having a say in decisions affecting them and their communities.

The main ways you can get involved are:

  • Having your say during public consultation periods for Local Development Frameworks
  • Having your say on planning applications affecting your community.

You can also report planning control breaches to your LPA and comment on planning-related appeals.

Find out more about having your say.

If you need advice you should contact the staff at the relevant LPA as they are there to help, most of them are planners so they care about creating better places for us to live.

Find contact information for your LPA.

You can also get help and support from:

  • Planning Aid – a charity set up by planners to offer free and unbiased advice
  • Professional advice – e.g. a qualified planning agent or consultant. You can find accredited planning consultants and builders in your local area on our find a trade professional page.
  • Your local councillor or Member of Parliament
  • The Local Government Ombudsman – if you feel that your LPA has made a mistake in its decision-making process.