Gate ornaments

Planning Permission

Bear in mind that ornamental gateposts are subject to the same rules as those that apply to other means of enclosure - fences, walls and gates.

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate if:

  • It would be over one metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over two metres high elsewhere; or
  • Your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or
  • Your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building
  • The fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.