Flue, chimney or soil and vent pipe
Fitting, altering or replacing an external flue, chimney, or soil and vent pipe is normally considered to be permitted development, not requiring planning consent, if the conditions outlined below are met:
- Flues on the rear or side elevation of the building are allowed to a maximum of one metre above the highest part of the roof
- If the building is listed or in a designated area even if you enjoy permitted development rights it is advisable to check with your local planning authority before a flue is fitted
- In a designated area the flue should not be fitted on the principal or side elevation that fronts a highway.
Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:
- Flats and maisonettes (view our guidance on flats and maisonettes)
- Converted houses or houses created through the ‘permitted development’ rights for:
- ‘Changes of use’ (Schedule 2, Part 3, Classes G; M; MA; N; P; PA and Q) (as detailed in our change of use section)
- ‘New Dwellinghouses’ (Schedule 2, Part 20)
- Other buildings
- Areas where there may be a planning condition, Article 4 Direction or other restriction that limits permitted development rights.
Build Aviator's estimating service can help you plan your project by providing an accurate cost of the proposed changes. Find out more.
Once costs have been estimated, the quick quote finance calculator from Selina Advance can take all of the hard work out of searching and securing the funds needed for your project.
Permitted Development for householders – Technical Guidance
You are strongly advised to read a technical guidance document produced by the government to help understand how permitted development rules might apply to your circumstances.
Find a Trade Professional
Use our partner directories from RIBA, FMB, or RTPI to find an architect, builder or planning consultant to help with your project or development.
Find a trade professional (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/find-a-trade-professional)Find a trade professional
Make an application (https://1app.planningportal.co.uk/)Make an application
Project estimating service (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/estimating-service)Project estimating service
Planning consultancy calculator (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/planning-consultancy-calculator)Planning consultancy calculator
Financing your project (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/quick-quote-finance-calculator)Financing your project