Most planning applications are submitted online. You can apply to every local authority in England through the Planning Portal.
You can submit an application to an authority in Wales using your Planning Portal login details by visiting Planning Applications Wales1.
The benefits are simple:
- Quick and user-friendly system
- Step-by-step help and advice
- Attach plans and drawings
- Save time and money
Find out more information on how to apply and the decision making process in the guidance below.
Use the links below to start or view your planning applications.
Start or view your planning applications (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/app)Start or view your planning applications
Buy a site plan
Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan. You can create a location plan as part of your online application, and you can purchase a site plan via our accredited supplier, ReQuestaPlan.
Find a professional
The Planning Portal has teamed up with quality service providers who can help you to find a professional and begin moving your project forward.
Calculate your planning fee with the Planning Portal's fee calculator.
Calculate the volume for common types of house and loft extensions. This can help to determine if planning permission is needed.
How to apply
Find out ways to apply, choosing your application, how much it costs and what you need to submit.
The decision-making process
Find out about the application process, how they are processed, how long it will take to get a decision and what to do if your application is refused.
Community Infrastructure Levy (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/policy-and-legislation/CIL)Community Infrastructure Levy
Application guide (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/application-guide)Application guide
Consent types (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/consent-types)Consent types
Paper forms (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/paper-forms)Paper forms
Supporting document types (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/supporting-document-types)Supporting document types
Consent types not available through the online system
- Application for Permission in Principle
- Application for a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works to a listed building
- Planning application for development relating to the onshore extraction of oil and gas
- Application for Prior Approval of a proposed: Temporary recreational campsite in Flood Zone 2 or Flood Zone 3
Application types not currently available on the Planning Portal
If you wish to apply for the following, please contact your local planning authority or check their website for details1
- Application for modification of conditions relating to construction working hours
- Application for additional environmental approval to extend the duration of a planning permission
- Planning permission for mineral extraction or associated development
- Modification or discharge of a Section 106 planning obligation
- Prior approval applications for: Toll road facilities (Part 9 - Class D2); Mining and mineral exploration (Part 17 – Class B, C, D, F, G3); Miscellaneous development (Part 18 - Class A4)
- Applications for Certificates of Appropriate Alternative Development