Planning Permission

Permission or ‘prior approval’ may be required to demolish a building; it depends on a number of factors including the type and size of building and where it is located.

You should ask your local planning authority for advice to find out what is required for the demolition you have in mind before any work commences to avoid the risk of legal action being taken against you.

For example, see below for a summary of certain situations that require specific permissions before demolition can be carried out.

You are also advised to review the full official government guidance on the consent regimes around demolition and when permission is required on

  • Conservation areas - Any demolition within a conservation area is more tightly controlled and will require an ‘Application for planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area’ unless it meets certain criteria. See full details on
  • Pubs or other drinking establishments (Use classes A4 or AA) - An application for full planning permission is required to demolish pubs or other drinking establishments (including those with expanded food provision)
  • Listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments - These are covered by different legislation and will require a different type of application.

Finally, you should also note that when demolition is permitted, it does not automatically follow that you will get planning permission to build any replacement structure or to change the use of the site, even in situations where the original building has suffered fire or storm damage.

Build Aviator's estimating service can help you plan your project by providing an accurate cost of the proposed changes. Find out more.

Find the contact details for your local planning authority.

Read more about permitted development rules.