- Flues on the rear or side elevation of the building are allowed to a maximum of one metre above the highest part of the roof.
- If the building is listed or in a designated area even if you enjoy permitted development rights it is advisable to check with your local planning authority before a flue is fitted.
- In a designated area the flue should not be fitted on the principal or side elevation that fronts a highway.
Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:
- Flats and maisonettes (view our guidance on flats and maisonettes)
- Converted houses or houses created through the permitted development rights to change use (as detailed in our change of use section)
- Other buildings
- Areas where there may be a planning condition, Article 4 Direction or other restriction that limits permitted development rights.
Permitted Development for householders – Technical Guidance
You are strongly advised to read a technical guidance document produced by the Government to help understand how permitted development rules might apply to your circumstances.