Other considerations before you start work


Before making an application, it is advisable to consult any neighbours who might be affected by your proposal, and the local parish, town or community council. In more complicated cases, you should consider consulting other bodies who might have an interest, such as:

  • the Environment Agency or the local water and sewage company - to discuss any potential sewerage, water or flooding problems;
  • the highway authority (usually the county council in non-metropolitan areas or the local council in metropolitan areas) - to discuss road safety and traffic issues; and
  • the Health and Safety Executive - to discuss the use of any dangerous chemicals in your proposed development.

A planning consultant may help with the smooth running of your project and guide you on your plan’s consent requirements. To find an accurate consultancy quote, explore Studio Charrette's calculators.