Roof - Planning Permission
Alterations to the roof of a house (e.g. to re-roof or insert skylights) is considered to be permitted development (not requiring planning permission) subject to the following limits and conditions.
These are specific to "any other alteration to the roof of a dwellinghouse" as detailed in Schedule 2, Part 1, Class C of the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 20151 (as amended).
There are different rules for:
- "the enlargement of a dwellinghouse consisting of an addition or alteration to its roof" (Schedule 2, Part 1, Class B) which are detailed in our 'Loft conversion' section2.
- “enlargement of a dwellinghouse by construction of additional storeys” (Schedule 2, Part 1 Class AA) which are detailed in our ‘Additional Storeys/Extending Upwards’ section3.
- “installation or alteration etc of solar equipment on domestic premises” (Schedule 2, Part 14, Class A) which are detailed in our ‘Solar panels’ section4.
If these limits and conditions are not met, or Permitted Development rights have been removed in the area, then an application for Householder/Full Planning Permission will be required.
The current house:
- Is not a building containing one or more flats, or a flat contained within such a building
- Was not changed to be used as a house (from a previous non-residential use) under permitted development rights.
- Was not built as a ‘New Dwellinghouse’ under permitted development rights.
Limitations on the proposed development:
- Must not project more than 150 millimetres from the plane of the existing roof slope.
- Must not exceed the height of the existing roof.
- Side-facing windows must be obscure-glazed; and, if opening, to be 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which they are installed.
Permitted Development for householders – Technical Guidance
You are strongly advised to read the technical guidance produced by the Government to help understand how permitted development rules might apply to your circumstances.
Find a Trade Professional
Use our partner directories from CIAT, FMB, RIBA, or RTPI to find an chartered architectural technologist, builder, architect or planning consultant to help with your project or development.
Find a trade professional (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/planning/planning-applications/find-a-trade-professional)Find a trade professional
Make an application (https://1app.planningportal.co.uk/)Make an application
Project estimating service (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/estimating-service)Project estimating service
Planning consultancy calculator (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/planning-consultancy-calculator)Planning consultancy calculator
Financing your project (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/home-improvement/quick-quote-finance-calculator)Financing your project