Other permissions you may require

Conservation areas

You can check with your local planning authority to see if your proposed work is in a conservation area.

If you live in a conservation area, you will need conservation area consent to do the following:

  • Demolish a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres. There are a few exceptions - you can get further information from your council
  • To demolish a gate, fence, wall or railing over 1 metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or over 2 metres high elsewhere.

Even if your proposals do not include the work mentioned above you should still check if an application for conservation area consent is required.

If your application for conservation area consent is refused, granted with conditions or not determined within 8 weeks of it being validated by the council then you have the right to appeal to the Secretary of State.

Find out more about the application process and how to apply online via the Planning Portal.