Why is there a service charge for submitting planning applications?
The Planning Portal launched the Financial Transaction Service on 10 September 2018. This is a payment service that has brought many benefits to applicants and local planning authorities. Since this date, there is a service charge applied to planning applications that attract a planning fee. The service charge is £16.67 +VAT.
The payment service has vastly improved the process of submitting and receiving planning applications for all our users, but of course costs money to run. Of course, this income will also allow us to invest in developing our services, including:
- The range of free-to-use content and interactive guidance to explain planning, from permitted development on common projects through to applying for planning permission for homeowners and others
- Free-to-use technical and legislative content for planning and building professionals
- A dedicated customer support team available 9am – 5pm to support customers
- The national building control service
- And of course the planning application service itself , including increasing the maximum file size of supporting documents, e-enabling further application types and improvements to local validation amongst many others