- Any alteration to project no more than 150 millimetres from the existing roof plane.
- No alteration to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
- Side facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
These are specific to "any other alteration to the roof of a dwellinghouse" as detailed in Schedule 2, Part 1, Class C of the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended).
There are different rules for "the enlargement of a dwellinghouse consisting of an addition or alteration to its roof" (Schedule 2, Part 1, Class B) which are detailed in our 'Loft Conversion' section.
Solar panels: The permitted development regime for solar panels also has different limits on projections and in relation to protected areas. View guidance on the planning and building regulations regime for domestic solar panels.
Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:
- Flats and maisonettes (view our guidance on flats and maisonettes)
- Converted houses or houses created through the permitted development rights to change use (as detailed in our change of use section)
- Other buildings
- Areas where there may be a planning condition, Article 4 Direction or other restriction that limits permitted development rights.